Mutton Rogan Josh is a popular Kashmiri dish made with tender chunks of mutton or lamb cooked in a flavorful gravy of spices, yogurt, and tomatoes. The dish gets its vibrant red color from the use of Kashmiri red chili powder and is typically served with rice or Indian bread.
The traditional way of making Rogan Josh involves slow cooking the meat with aromatic spices like cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and bay leaves until it becomes tender and infused with the flavors of the spices. The addition of yogurt helps to tenderize the meat further while also adding a tangy flavor to the dish.
To make Mutton Rogan Josh at home, you will need to marinate the meat in yogurt and spices for a few hours before cooking it with the gravy. The key to making a good Rogan Josh is to cook it on low heat for a long time, allowing the flavors to meld together and the meat to become tender.
Mutton Rogan Josh is a delicious and hearty dish that is perfect for a special occasion or a comforting family dinner.
Ingredients for Mutton Rogan Josh:
- 1 kg mutton, cut into small pieces
- 4-5 tablespoons mustard oil
- 2 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 2-3 tomatoes, pureed or finely chopped
- 4-5 whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoons Kashmiri red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt, to taste
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- Fresh coriander leaves, for garnishing
Instructions for Mutton Rogan Josh:
- Heat the mustard oil in a heavy-bottomed pan or pressure cooker.
- Add the chopped onions and fry until they turn translucent.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute.
- Add the whole spices – green cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, black peppercorns, and cloves – and fry for a minute.
- Add the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and fennel seeds and fry for another minute.
- Add the mutton pieces and fry on high heat for 5-6 minutes until they are browned on all sides.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the red chili powder, turmeric powder, and Kashmiri red chili powder. Mix well.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and salt. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low heat for about 45 minutes or until the mutton is cooked and tender. If using a pressure cooker, cook for 15-20 minutes on high pressure.
- Add the kasuri methi and ghee and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or naan.
Enjoy your delicious Mutton Rogan Josh!
- If you prefer a thick sauce, whisk 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour into the yogurt before adding it to the stew. This will improve the dish’s flavor as well.
- Rogan Josh is traditionally prepared in a skillet over low heat, but you may hasten the process by using a pressure cooker.
- The Kashmiri red chilies and Ratan jot are responsible for Rogan Josh’s distinctive crimson color. It is a plant from the family of borages that is frequently used in Indian cuisine.
- Calories: 600-700 calories
- Protein: 45-50 grams
- Fat: 35-40 grams
- Carbohydrates: 10-15 grams
- Fiber: 2-3 grams
- Sodium: 700-800 mg
- chhena Gaja recipe
- How to Make Cinnamon Tea for Weight Loss
- paneer burger recipe
- How to make chenna
- Handi Paneer Recipe
- Black Lentils Recipe
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube