Veg Handi Biryani is a delightful fusion of fragrant basmati rice, colorful vegetables, and a blend of aromatic spices. This vegetarian version of the traditional biryani is known for its rich flavors and mouthwatering taste. It’s the perfect dish for both special occasions and everyday meals.
Ingredients You’ll Need
For the Rice:
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 cloves
- 2-3 green cardamom pods
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
For the Vegetable Mix:
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, beans, etc.)
- 1/2 cup diced paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
For the Spice Mix:
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
For the Handi (Cooking Vessel):
- 2-3 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/4 cup milk
- Saffron strands soaked in warm milk (for garnish)
Cooking the Rice
- Wash the basmati rice thoroughly and soak it in water for 30 minutes.
- In a large pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the soaked rice along with bay leaf, cloves, green cardamom pods, and cinnamon stick.
- Cook until the rice is 70% done. It should still have a slight bite to it.
- Drain the rice and set it aside.
Preparing the Vegetable Mix
- Heat ghee in a handi or heavy-bottomed pan.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and cook until they become soft and mushy.
- Add green chilies, mixed vegetables, and diced paneer. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and garam masala. Mix well.
- Add yogurt and cook until the mixture comes together.
- Sprinkle chopped mint and coriander leaves.
Layering the Biryani
- In the same handi, spread a layer of partially cooked rice.
- Top it with a layer of the vegetable mixture.
- Repeat the layers until all the rice and vegetable mix are used.
- Drizzle some saffron-infused milk on top for a delightful aroma and color.
- Cover the handi with a tight-fitting lid.
- Place the handi on a tava (griddle) and cook on low heat for 20-25 minutes.
- This slow cooking process allows the flavors to meld together and infuse into the rice.
Tips for Making Perfect Veg Handi Biryani:
- Choose the Right Rice: Opt for good quality basmati rice as it has a fragrant aroma and long grains, which are perfect for biryani.
- Soak the Rice: Soaking the rice for at least 30 minutes before cooking helps it cook evenly and results in fluffy grains.
- Spice Level: Adjust the spice level to your preference. You can increase or decrease the amount of red chili powder and green chilies.
- Layering is Key: Ensure even distribution of rice and vegetable layers in the handi for a balanced taste.
- Dum Cooking: The slow cooking process (dum cooking) is essential for the flavors to meld. Use a tight-fitting lid to seal the handi.
Variations of Veg Handi Biryani:
- Paneer Handi Biryani: Replace mixed vegetables with paneer cubes for a rich and creamy twist. You can marinate the paneer in yogurt and spices for extra flavor.
- Mushroom Handi Biryani: If you’re a mushroom lover, use a combination of button mushrooms and other vegetables to create a flavorful Mushroom Handi Biryani.
- Herb-Infused Biryani: Instead of just mint and coriander leaves, use a variety of fresh herbs like dill, basil, or parsley to infuse unique flavors into your biryani.
- Layer with Fried Onions: For an extra layer of flavor, top each vegetable layer with fried onions (birista) to add a sweet and crispy element.
- Spicy Handi Biryani: If you love heat, include some diced green chilies or jalapeños in your vegetable mix and increase the red chili powder quantity.
- Vegan Handi Biryani: To make it vegan, use plant-based yogurt and replace ghee with vegetable oil or vegan butter.
- Protein-Packed Handi Biryani: Add cooked and drained legumes like chickpeas or black-eyed peas for an extra protein boost.
Serving Your Veg Handi BiryaniYour Veg Handi Biryani is now ready to be served! Garnish it with some fresh coriander leaves and serve it hot with raita (yogurt sauce) or salad. The aromatic flavors and rich taste of this dish will surely impress your family and friends.
- Q1: What makes Veg Handi Biryani different from other biryani varieties?
- Q2: Can I customize the level of spiciness in Veg Handi Biryani?
- Q3: Can I use pre-packaged biryani masala instead of individual spices?
- Q4: Can Veg Handi Biryani be made in advance and reheated?
- Q5: Can I add nuts and dried fruits to Veg Handi Biryani for extra flavor and texture?
- Q6: Is Veg Handi Biryani suitable for special occasions and gatherings?
NutritionServing Size: 1 cup (approximately 200-250 grams) Calories: Calories in Veg Handi Biryani can vary depending on the ingredients used and portion size. On average, one serving contains about 300-400 calories. Protein: The Biryani is a good source of plant-based protein. One serving typically provides around 7-10 grams of protein. Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are a significant component of Biryani due to the rice and vegetables. One serving contains approximately 50-60 grams of carbohydrates. Dietary Fiber: The presence of vegetables and rice with bran makes Veg Handi Biryani a source of dietary fiber. It usually contains about 4-6 grams of fiber per serving. Fats: The amount of fat can vary depending on the use of ghee or oil. On average, one serving contains around 10-15 grams of fat. Saturated Fat: Saturated fat content can vary based on the cooking method. A typical serving contains approximately 2-3 grams of saturated fat. Vitamins and Minerals: Veg Handi Biryani is rich in essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, potassium, and folate, primarily from the vegetables used in the dish.
Final ThoughtsIn conclusion, our Veg Handi Biryani recipe is not only a treat for your taste buds but also a valuable addition to your culinary repertoire. By following these steps, you can create a delectable dish that will be the highlight of any meal. So, why settle for the ordinary when you can indulge in the extraordinary? Try our Veg Handi Biryani recipe today and elevate your dining experience to new heights.
- Fish fry recipe (step-by-step)
- Aloo fry recipe
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Fish Cutlet Recipe
- Bharwa Baingan Recipe