The bread roll is a tasty Indian snack that can be made in a jiffy if you have leftover boiled potatoes. it is simple and easy to make and can be made within minutes while delivering a mouth-watering evening snack.
This insanely delicious deep-fried aloo snacks recipe will indeed make you yearn for it more and more, you bet! Here is how to make a bread roll recipe step by step. This Indian snack recipe of bread roll has a crispy outside texture encased with a tangy savory potato stuffing inside.
The process is very simple, first, the potato mixture is prepared for stuffing and then the bread slices are stuffed with that mixture and then deep fried until golden and crispy. having said that it does not take much time to cook and mash the potato stuffing anyway.
This beautiful crispy potato-stuffed bread has a tasty filling of mashed potatoes and spices. Additionally, only if you wish to, you can add green peas as well.
Ingredients for Bread Roll
- 4 potatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- water as required
- 2 Onions (small size, finely chopped)
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin-Coriander Powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp aamchur / dry mango powder
- salt as required
- 6 Bread Slices
- oil for deep frying
Instructions for Bread Roll
- Rinse potatoes very well in water. Then place them in a pressure cooker. Add water just about covering the potatoes. Also, add ½ teaspoon salt.
- Pressure cook the potatoes for 5 to 6 whistles on medium to medium-high heat. When the pressure settles down on its own, then only open the lid.
- Drain all the water and set the potatoes aside.
- Let them cool for a while at room temperature. Peel the potatoes and transfer them to a large bowl and Mash them.
- Add finely chopped onion, finely chopped coriander leaves, and finely chopped green chili.
- Then add red chilli powder, cumin-coriander powder, and dry mango powder (amchur powder).
- Add salt, just taste the boiled potatoes for salt and add as required.
- Stir and mix very well. Check the taste and add more spice powders, salt and dry mango powder if required.
- Take the bread slices on the chopping board and cut the sides using a knife of each slice.
- Take ⅓ cup water on a plate or a bowl. Dip one bread slice in the water completely for a second and quickly remove it.
- Press the bread between your palms so that the excess water is drained.
- Just dip the slice to lightly moisten the bread, do not dip it completely as it will break the slice while removing the water, and also it will absorb more oil while deep frying.
- Now place the bread on a tray or board or plate.
- Now take a small portion of the stuffing mixture and place it in the center lengthwise diagonally
- Alternatively, you can make small cylindrical shape rolls of the stuffing mixture and place one roll inside.
- Gently roll the bread and join the edges. Press the edges and seal them.
- Then cover it from the remaining two sides and give it a cylindrical shape.
- You should get a neat roll. Also, there should not be any uncovered potato filling as when frying they will leak out in the oil.
- Make the remaining bread rolls in a similar way.
- Once all the rolls are ready, then heat enough oil in a kadhai or deep pan.
- Make sure that the oil is hot enough, otherwise, the rolls will absorb more oil while frying.
- Gently, slide in the rolls and fry them until golden and crisp.
- Then turn over each bread roll carefully using a slotted spoon.
- Continue to fry and turn over as required for uniform frying.
- Remove them using a slotted spoon and transfer them to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Repeat the same for all the rolls.
- Crisp and tasty stuffed bread rolls are ready to serve with chutney or ketchup.
Serve the bread roll hot or warm with your favorite accompaniment like tomato sauce or green chutney or mint chutney or coriander chutney. They taste great with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
Tips and Variations
- firstly, use the white or brown bread of your choice.
- If making it for small kids, then skip the green chilies and red chili powder.
- you can also add roasted peanuts or chopped cashew nuts with other ingredients.
- If you are making it for kids – Add a variety of boiled (or steamed) vegetables like green peas, sweet corn, carrot, beetroot, etc. to make it healthy.
- Just dip the bread slice for a second to wet the surface. Do not wet it too much or it will break while squeezing the water and also absorb more oil while deep frying and not turn crispy.
- finally, bread roll recipe tastes great when served hot and turns soggy once cooled.
Also read: Puran Poli recipe – Recipes Plaza
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube