Kadai chicken is a popular Indian dish that originated in the northern region of India. It is a spicy and flavorful dish that is made with boneless chicken pieces, tomatoes, onions, and a blend of aromatic spices.
The dish gets its name from the traditional cooking utensil used to prepare it, which is called a “kadai,” or wok. The kadai is typically made of iron and has a deep, round shape that allows for easy stirring and tossing of ingredients.
To make this recipe, the chicken pieces are first marinated in a mixture of yogurt, ginger, garlic, and spices. Then, they are cooked in a kadai with tomato-onion gravy and a blend of aromatic spices such as cumin, coriander, garam masala, and dried red chili peppers. The dish is typically served hot with rice or Indian bread such as naan or roti.
Kadai chicken is a popular dish in Indian restaurants and is also commonly made at home. It is a delicious and flavorful dish that is enjoyed by many, especially those who enjoy spicy food.
It is a dish that is versatile and can be prepared in many different ways. Some variations of the dish may include different vegetables such as bell peppers, green beans, or potatoes. Some recipes may also call for the use of cream or cashews to add a creamier texture to the dish.
Kadai chicken is a dish that is enjoyed throughout India and has become popular in other countries as well. It is a staple on many Indian restaurant menus and is also commonly prepared in households. It is a dish that is enjoyed by people of all ages and can be adjusted to suit different levels of spiciness based on personal preferences.
It is important to use a kadai or wok to achieve the desired flavor and texture. The kadai helps to evenly distribute heat and allows for easy tossing and stirring of ingredients. It is also important to use fresh and high-quality ingredients such as chicken and spices to ensure the best flavor. Overall, The recipe is a delicious and flavorful dish that is enjoyed by many. It is a dish that is perfect for a cozy family dinner or a festive occasion and is sure to impress anyone who tries it.
Overall, kadai chicken is a delicious and flavorful dish that is enjoyed by many. It is a dish that is perfect for a cozy family dinner or a festive occasion and is sure to impress anyone who tries it.
Ingredients for Kadai chicken:
- 500 grams of boneless chicken, cut into small pieces
- 2 medium size Onions (finely chopped)
- 2 medium size Tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1-inch Ginger (finely chopped)
- 5-6 Garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 3-4 green chili (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 2-3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon Ghee (clarified butter) optional
For the spice blend:
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Black peppercorns
- 2-3 dried red chili
- 1 tablespoon Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
For the marinade:
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
You can adjust the spice level according to your taste preferences. You can also substitute the boneless chicken with bone-in chicken or paneer for a vegetarian version.
Instructions for Kadai chicken recipe:
- In a dry pan, roast the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, black peppercorns, and dried red chilies for a minute or until fragrant. Let the spices cool down and grind them into a coarse powder. Mix in the kasuri methi and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and salt. Mix well and add the chicken pieces to the bowl. Coat the chicken pieces with the marinade and let them rest for at least 30 minutes.
- In a kadai or a deep skillet, heat the cooking oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until they turn golden brown. Add the ginger, garlic, and green chilies, and sauté for another minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the kadai and cook until they turn soft and mushy. Add the spice blend that was prepared earlier and cook for a minute or until the spices release their aroma.
- Add the marinated chicken to the kadai and stir well. Increase the heat to high and cook the chicken for 5-7 minutes or until it starts to brown.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the kadai, and let the chicken cook for 10-12 minutes or until it is fully cooked and tender. Stir occasionally to prevent the chicken from sticking to the kadai.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the ghee (clarified butter) and coriander leaves to the kadai. Stir well and turn off the heat.
- Kadai chicken is now ready to be served with naan, roti, or rice.
- Kadai chicken goes well with Indian bread such as naan or roti. The bread can be used to mop up the spicy gravy and add a bit of texture to the dish.
- Kadai chicken can also be served with steamed rice or biryani rice. The rice helps to balance out the spiciness of the dish and makes it more filling.
- A side of raita, which is a yogurt-based condiment, can help to cool down the spiciness of the recipe. It can be made with chopped cucumber, tomato, and onion mixed with yogurt and spices.
- A fresh salad can also be served alongside the recipe. It can be made with chopped cucumber, tomato, and onion, and dressed with lemon juice and salt.
- Indian pickles such as mango pickles or mixed vegetable pickles can add a tangy and spicy flavor to the kadai chicken.
- Papad, which is a thin and crispy Indian cracker, can be served as a side dish to add a crunchy texture to the meal.
Tips and variation:
- Cut the chicken into small pieces: Cutting the chicken into small, bite-sized pieces ensures that it cooks evenly and absorbs the flavors of the spices and marinade.
- Adjust the spice level: You can adjust the spiciness according to your taste preferences. You can add more or fewer green chilies or red chili powder to make it more or less spicy.
- Use bone-in chicken: You can use bone-in chicken instead of boneless chicken for a more flavorful and moist dish. Just remember to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Add vegetables: You can add vegetables such as capsicum (bell pepper) or mushrooms to the kadai chicken to make it more nutritious and flavorful.
- Use different meats: Kadai chicken can be made with different meats such as lamb, or fish. Just remember to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Use different spices: You can experiment with different spices to create your own unique kadai chicken recipe. Some good options include cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves.
- Garnish with fresh herbs: Fresh herbs such as cilantro or mint can be added as a garnish to add a fresh and fragrant flavor to the dish.
- Use a different cooking method: Kadai chicken can also be cooked in a pressure cooker or slow cooker for a more convenient and hands-off cooking experience.
Health benefits of Kadai chicken recipe:
- Chicken is a rich source of protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissues in the body.
- Kadai chicken is a low-carb dish, making it a good option for people who are watching their carbohydrate intake.
- The spices used, such as cumin, coriander, and black pepper, contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that may help to reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and diabetes.
- The marinade in kadai chicken typically includes yogurt, which is a good source of probiotics that can help to improve digestion and boost the immune system.
- Adding vegetables such as capsicum (bell pepper) or mushrooms to kadai chicken can increase the fiber and nutrient content of the dish, promoting good digestive health.
- What is kadai chicken?
Ans: Kadai chicken is a popular Indian dish made with chicken, bell peppers, tomatoes, and a variety of spices. It is typically cooked in a wok-style pan called a kadai, which gives the dish its name.
- What is the origin of kadai chicken?
Ans: It is believed to have originated in the northern regions of India, particularly in the Punjab and Rajasthan regions.
- Is kadai chicken spicy?
Ans: Kadai chicken is typically spicy, but the level of spiciness can be adjusted according to personal preference.
- Can I make kadai chicken with bone-in chicken?
Ans: Yes, you can make kadai chicken with bone-in chicken for a more flavorful and moist dish. Just remember to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- How can I make kadai chicken healthier?
Ans: To make it healthier, you can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, use a smaller amount of oil, add more vegetables, and pair the dish with steamed vegetables or a salad instead of bread or rice.
- Can I make kadai chicken ahead of time?
Ans: Yes, you can make it ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat the dish in the microwave or on the stove before serving.
- Calories: 480
- Total Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
- Sodium: 570mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 36g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Sugars: 6g
- Protein: 38g
You Might Also Like:
- Bharwa mirch achar recipe
- Amrood (guava) ki Sabji recipe
- A Paneer Chili recipe
- Veg Pulao recipe
- Bajra paratha recipe
follow us on instagram, facebook and youtube