This Shahi Paneer is deliciously rich and creamy, making it one of the most popular recipes in Mughlai cuisine. Fresh, unmelting cheese is married with a creamy gravy, perfect for serving with naan or roti. “Shahi” means “royalty,” and I can promise this dish is fit for a King!
paneer based curries are one of the popular choices for both meat and non-meat eaters in india. it can be made with a wide variety of options which includes spicy gravy, dry variant and a creamy sauce based curry. one such easy, simple and rich creamy based sauce curry is the shahi paneer masala known for its mild and sweet taste.
This is a traditional recipe that has been followed from generations and has been mainstay preparation in Indian cuisine since the time of Moguls. This shahi paneer recipe uses cashew nut based tomato gravy to bring in the rich texture and flavour
While the list of ingredients for Shahi Paneer recipe is quite long, you don’t need to be intimidated. The process for making this dish isn’t particularly technical or difficult.
Ingredients for shahi paneer
- 5 to 6 cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon roasted Coriander seeds
onion tomato puree:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 pods cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 pod black cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 3 clove garlic
- 1 inch ginger (chopped)
- 2 tomato (chopped)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 200 gms Paneer (cottage cheese)
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 tej patta (bay leaf)
- 2-3 cloves
- 2-3 green cardamom
- 1 black cardamom
- ½ tsp caraway seeds
- ¼ cup cream
- ½ tsp kasuri methi
- ¼ tsp garam masala
Instructions for shahi paneer
For Cashew paste
1) Take the chopped cashews and coriander seeds in a bowl and rinse them a couple of times with water. Drain all the water and set aside.
2) Add the chopped cashews and coriander seeds in a grinder and grind them into a fine paste
For onion tomato puree
3) firstly, in a kadai heat 1 tbsp butter and saute 2 pods cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon,1 pod black cardamom and 3 cloves.
4) now add 1 onion, 3 clove garlic and 1 inch ginger.
5) saute slightly until onion softens.
6) further, add 2 tomato and saute slightly.
also, add 1 cup water and 1 tsp salt. mix well.
7) cover and boil for 20 minutes or until it softens completely.
8) cool completely and transfer to a blender. blend to smooth paste without adding any water.
9) Heat 3 tablespoons ghee in a pan over medium-low to medium heat. Let the ghee melt.
10) Add 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf), 2 to 3 cloves, 2 to 3 green cardamoms, 1 black cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon, ½ teaspoon caraway seeds (shah jeera).
11) Fry all the whole spices until they release their aroma in the ghee.
12) add in the prepared tomato-onion puree and the prepared cashew paste. Finally mix well.
13) On a low to medium-low heat mix until the paste is uniform. Then sauté for 7 to 8 minutes.
14) further, add ¼ cup cream and mix until everything is well combined.
15) Stir well and simmer on a low heat for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the gravy thickens.
16) Stir and add the paneer cubes. mix well and turn off the flame
17) now add ½ tsp kasuri methi and ¼ tsp garam masala. mix well.
18) finally, enjoy shahi paneer with roti or garlic naan.
Tips and Variations
- You can make a thicker consistency or a medium consistency of the gravy by adding less or more water.
- firstly, in adding cream makes curry rich and flavourful.
- also, do not make curry spicy as it needs to be mild.
- additionally, sieve the puree to get a silky smooth texture.
The shahi paneer recipe tastes great when served hot. Garnish Shahi Paneer with some coriander leaves or mint leaves or a few saffron strands. Serve the Mughlai Shahi Paneer with cumin rice or roti, naan, or paratha.
Also read: Fish fry recipe (step by step)