Tandoori momos are a famous Indian and Nepalese street cuisine snack. They are a twist on traditional momos, which are a sort of dumpling originally from Tibet but now popular in India and Nepal’s Himalayan areas.
The momos are produced by marinating momos in a yogurt, spice, and lemon juice mixture before grilling them in a tandoor or clay oven. As a result, the momos have a delightful, smoky flavor that adds a degree of complexity to the already delectable momos.
Tandoori momos are often served with a selection of dipping sauces, including mint chutney, tomato chutney, and spicy red chili sauce. They are commonly consumed as a snack or appetizer, but they can also be served as a main course. Served with rice or naan bread.
Origin of tandoori momos
Tandoori momos are a popular street food snack that originated in India, specifically in the city of Delhi. They are a fusion dish that combines the flavors of traditional Tibetan momos with Indian spices and cooking techniques.
Are tandoori momos healthy?
Tandoori momos can be a healthy snack if made with fresh, wholesome ingredients and cooked in a healthy manner. However, they are often deep-fried or cooked with high-fat ingredients, so it is best to consume them in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Overall, tandoori momos are a tasty and interesting spin on conventional momos that you should try if you get the chance!
Ingredients of Tandoori Momos
- 1 pack of momos (chicken, vegetable, or any filling of your choice)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
Instruction of tandoori momos
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and salt to taste in a mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly to create a smooth marinade.
- Add the momos to the marinade and coat them thoroughly. Refrigerate the bowl for at least 1 hour, covered with plastic wrap.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the momos from the marinade and lay them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle some oil over the momos.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the momos are cooked through and slightly blackened.
- Remove the momos from the oven and serve immediately with your preferred dipping sauce.
- Enjoy your delicious tandoori momos!
- Serve tandoori momos with a variety of dipping sauces, such as mint chutney, coriander chutney, tomato chutney, or spicy red chili sauce. The dipping sauce can add an extra layer of flavor to the momos. You can serve tandoori momos with some sliced onions and lemon wedges on the side. Squeezing the lemon juice on the momos can add a fresh, tangy taste.
- Tandoori momos can be served as a main course with some rice or naan bread. You can also serve them with some vegetables on the side, such as grilled peppers, onions, and mushrooms.
- You can also create a fusion dish by using momos in a wrap or a roll. Add some sliced onions, lettuce, and a sauce of your choice, and wrap the momos in a tortilla or a flatbread.
Tips and Variations
- Make sure to marinate the momos for at least an hour. This allows the flavors to penetrate the momos and makes them more flavorful.
- Use a good quality yogurt for the marinade. A thick and creamy yogurt works best for tandoori momos.
- If you don’t have a tandoor or clay oven, you can grill the momos on a barbecue grill or in a pan on the stove. You can also bake them in the oven, as mentioned in the recipe above.
- To prevent the momos from sticking to the baking tray or the grill, brush some oil on the surface before placing the momos.
- Keep an eye on the momos while cooking to avoid overcooking them.
- You can also experiment with different spices and seasonings to customize the marinade according to your taste preferences.
- Q: What kind of momos can be used for tandoori momos?
A: You can use any type of momos, such as chicken, vegetable, or paneer momos. You can also make your own momos at home or buy them from a local restaurant or grocery store.
- Q: What kind of dipping sauce goes well?
A: Tandoori momos are traditionally served with mint chutney, tomato chutney, or coriander chutney. However, you can also try other sauces like tamarind chutney, yogurt sauce or a spicy red chili sauce.
- Q: Can tandoori momos be made without an oven or grill?
A: Yes, tandoori momos can be made without an oven or grill. You can also cook them on a stove in a pan, or bake them in an oven at a high temperature.
- Q: How can I make the momos more flavorful?
A: You can make the momos more flavorful by marinating them for a longer period of time, using a combination of spices and seasonings, or by adding some grated cheese or chopped vegetables to the filling.
- Doi Potol Recipe (Bengali Dahi Parwal)
- Sambar Vada Recipe (Hotel style Sambar Recipe)
- Dora cake – (fluffy Dora cakes recipe)
- pudina chutney
- Mint chutney recipe