This restaurant-style Veg Pulao is a delicious medley of rice, spices, and vegetables. Also known as Vegetable Pulao Pulav or Indian Pulao, this North Indian dish is very simple and easy to make and pairs perfectly with any raita or curry of your choice.
This easy and simple flavoured rice recipe made with long grain rice, choice of vegetables and fresh herbs. it is one of the popular rice variants or choice for many indians and is often served for lunch and dinner, if not for morning breakfast.
Rice-based recipes are an integral part of indian cuisine and are made for different reasons. each and every state has its own unique variants made with rice, but pulao recipe is common across India.
Veg Pulao is explained in this post with details. Veg Pulao is my go to recipe for a quick fix for lunch, packing for lunchbox or even for any special occassion or weekends.
Ingrediants for Pulao recipe
- 1/2 cup Basmati Rice (long grained rice)
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 1 small Tomato, finely chopped
- Vegetables – You can add as many veggies as you want in this Pulao. I like to add Green Peas, French Beans, carrot, but you can go ahead and add in anything you want.
- Whole Spices: Bay Leaf, Cardamom, Cloves, Cinnamon, Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander Leaves
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Ghee
- 1 cup Water
- Salt to taste
Instructions for pulao recipe
- Wash rice and soak it in water for 15-20 minutes. Drain and keep aside until needed.
- Heat ghee and oil together in a pressure cooker.
- On low flame. Add bay leaf, cinnamon, clove, and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add onion and sauté until it turns light brown or for approx. 2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomato, green peas, french beans and carrot.
- Stir-fry them for approx. 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and mix well.
- Close the lid and cook over medium flame for 2 whistles.
- When 1st whistle is completed, reduce the flame to low and cook until another whistle.
- Turn off flame.
- Let it cool at room temperature until pressure inside cooker comes down naturally.
- Open the lid carefully and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Indian vegetable pulao is traditionally served with cucumber raita or onion raita, papad and pickle. In south Indian states like Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Karnataka and Tamilnadu, it is served and enjoyed with coconut chutney. It is a perfect dish for bachelors to make for dinner.
Tips to make best Pulao Recipe
- Use long grain Basmati rice to make this pulao. The grains will remain separate and the fragrance will be amazing.
- You can choose the vegetables that you want to add in the pulao. You can also add corn kernels or baby corn, broccoli, capsicum etc.
- After the pulao is cooked, let it rest for at least 5 minutes before fluffing it with a fork. It will make sure the grains do not break while fluffing it.
- Ghee adds a very delicious flavour to the rice however if you want, you can use olive oil too. But adding some fat helps to keep the grains separate so do not skip it.