Mixed dal recipe is made more healthy and protein rich as it features 5 different dals or lentils. . A good mix dal tadka dhaba style is a dish you will savor always. Lentils are easy to digest as well as cheap. A packet lasts long and makes multiple meals.
You can make variety of dishes with lentils and never get bored. This easy dal recipe is generously garnished with a tempering of dry red chillies, cumin seeds and asafoetida. This deliciously cooked Dal is made with onions, garlic-ginger, tomatoes and is seasoned perfectly with salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
This dal recipe is not only easy to digest but at the same time, it makes for a perfect lunch/dinner recipe. It tastes excellent when served with cooked rice, roti, lachcha paratha, or naan.
- Mixed lentils -(chana, tuvar, masoor, moong). Chana dal comes in 2 colors(green and yellow), I have taken the green colored chana dal.
- Ginger-garlic- chilly
- Spices -turmeric,red chilly powder, garam masala
- Ghee/oil if vegan
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 tej patta or Indian bay leaf
- Soak the mixed lentils in a bowl of water for 20-30 minutes.
- Add the lentils to a pressure cooker along with a pinch of turmeric powder
- Also add 2 cups of water
- Cook until 2 whistles and turn off the gas. Let it cool
- In a kadai or thick bottomed pan, heat 1.5 tablespoon oil or ghee.
- Add cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms and Indian bay leaf
- Then add 1 medium sized chopped onions
- On a low to medium flame, stir often and saute till the onions turn light golden. Keep on stirring often so that they cook evenly.
Keep on stirring at intervals so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Then add 1 teaspoon crushed ginger, 1 teaspoon crushed garlic, 2 to 3 slit green chillies
Now add the chopped tomatoes. Stir and saute till the tomatoes soften.
Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and a pinch of asafoetida.
- Mix the spice powders with the rest of the onion-tomato masala
Add the cooked dal and mix well
Simmer the dal on a low flame till the dal thickess
- Garnish with some coriander leaves and serve the dhaba style dal hot with rotis or parathas or steamed rice or cumin rice or ghee rice. You can also do the dhungar method if you want and then serve the dal.
You can have this amazing dal recipe with rice, roti, naan, poori and kulcha
Tips to make best Mix dal recipe
- firstly, add dal of your choice like urad dal, rajma or chole (note: few dal need soaking and also more cooking time).
- also, cook the dal in a pressure cooker or open vessel till they turn soft.
- This recipe makes for a faintly spicy dal. If you cannot tolerate spicy food then reduce the amount of ginger, garlic, red chillies, green chillies and red chilli powder.
- additionally, adjust the consistency of dal to your choice.
- finally, mix dal fry tastes great when prepared with fresh homemade ghee.