Rasgulla is a melt-in-the-mouth soft and spongy cheese ball in light and sweet mild cardamom-flavoured sugary syrup. It’s a traditional and easy-to-make Bengali sweet that you can’t go wrong with.
It is known for its creamy and spongy texture with the sweetness of sugar syrup. it is a basic dessert recipe from the bengali cuisine served immediately after lunch or dinner.
Festivals in India are incomplete with rasgulla, rasagola or rosogulla. This soft and spongy rasgulla recipe is one of the most well-known Indian sweet recipes that is prepared with curdled milk.
This original rasgulla recipe gives you a step-by-step peek into how this dish is made. So, what are you waiting for? Try this amazing dessert and enjoy it with your love!
Ingredients for Rasgulla
- 2 litre milk (full cream)
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 litre water
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2-3 Green Cardamom Pods, optional
Instructions for rasgulla
- Take a heavy-bottomed pan and add two litres of full-cream milk to it.
- Bring it to a low boil on low to medium heat.
- Keep stirring the milk at intervals. This will help to prevent froth from forming on top and the base from scorching.
- When it comes to a boil, reduce the flame and add the lemon juice.
- As soon as the milk curdles, switch off the heat.
- The solid milk portion and liquid whey portion will start to separate within a minute or two
- When it separates completely, turn off the flame.
- Drain the curdled milk over a cloth-lined over a colander
- Gather the cloth from the sides and rinse the chenna or coagulated milk solids very well in running water.
- Now squeeze the cloth with your hands
- Tie it in the cloth once the chenna cools a bit, squeeze away extra water and allow it to hang for about 30 minutes.
- Untie the muslin cloth and transfer chhena to a plate.
Make Rasgulla Balls
- Crumble it with your hand. keep rubbing portions of it from your hand. At this point, you can add the maida.
- With the heels of your palms, mash the chenna and knead. Keep on collecting the chenna from the sides and continue to mash and knead.
- Knead it using hand until it all comes together like dough and it starts to release some fat
- Once your chhena is smooth enough and much lighter in texture, pinch small portions from the chenna and roll them between your palms to a smooth round ball.
- cover and keep to prevent from drying keep aside.
Making Sugar Syrup and add the balls
In a large pot, take 2 cups of sugar.
- Add 4 cups of water or 1 litre.
stir and dissolve the sugar completely. now boil the water for 5 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, check the syrup, If it is of one-string consistency, your syrup is ready.
- Also, add cardamom powder. Switch off the gas.
- Add the rasgullas one by one in the syrup ensuring there is enough space in the pan.
- Cover it with a lid and let it cook over medium flame until rasgulla doubles in size.
- After about 5-minutes, remove the lid and stir it gently with a spatula.
- Now again cover the pan and allow it to simmer on low flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove lid and turn off the flame.
- Transfer them to a large bowl and let them cool. Rasgulla is now ready for serving.
Tips and Variations:
- Use full-fat cow’s milk for best results. However, if it is not available, you can use regular milk.
- Make sure that the chenna has the right amount of moisture. It should not be dry or have water.
- Do not use store-bought paneer to make this sweet.
- You can skip adding maida. If you keep the flame low, rasgulla will not disintegrate.
- Use a deep and wide-mouthed vessel for perfect cooking.
While serving place the required amount of rasgulla in each serving bowl. Pour a few tablespoons of the sugar syrup into the serving bowl. If you like garnish with some slivered nuts like almonds or pistachios.
Serve it as a dessert after dinner or as a sweet meal for lunch. It can be enjoyed at any time with any savoury snack.
You can serve the rasgulla now or refrigerate them and serve later cold. Keep them covered in an air-tight container. Rasgulla keeps well for about a week in the refrigerator. Do not keep them at room temperature.
Also read: Chicken Momos Recipe (step by step)
follow us on instagram, facebook