Paneer Tikka is a popular and delicious tandoori snack where Paneer (Indian cottage cheese cubes) are marinated in a spiced yogurt-based marinade, arranged on skewers, and grilled in the oven.
It is an adapted recipe from the popular chicken tikka recipe for non-meat eaters or paneer lovers. basically, this is the dry version of paneer tikka which is served as a party starter. however, the gravy version of paneer masala tikka is also hugely popular and is served with roti and chapatis.
Paneer Tikka can be made in the tandoor or on the tawa. instead of grilling in the oven, you can make Paneer Tikka Recipe on the stovetop on a tawa/skillet. In this post, I am sharing both the oven and stovetop methods.
Paneer or Cottage Cheese forms the base here. This dish can be made exclusively with paneer cubes. But we prefer to load them up with more veggies, and what fun, eating these tikkas right off a stick.
This tasty homemade version is similar to the dish served in restaurants, but I would say actually tastes better!
Apart from being an explosion of flavors, Paneer Tikka also offers several health benefits. Paneer, being a dairy product, is an excellent source of protein and calcium. The use of various spices in the marinade also contributes to the dish’s health quotient, with ginger and garlic providing anti-inflammatory properties.
Ingredients for Paneer Tikka
- 200 to 250 grams of Paneer or Indian cottage cheese
- ½ cup onions (diced)
- ½ cup capsicum (diced)
- ½ cup curd/yogurt (thick)
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- ½ tsp turmeric / Haldi
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (ground cumin)
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp Kasuri methi / dry fenugreek leaves (crushed)
- 3 tsp oil
Instructions for Paneer Tikka
- Peel, rinse, and dice 1 medium-sized onion in square-shaped pieces.
- Rinse and slice 1 small to medium-sized capsicum (green bell pepper) into inches pieces.
- Set these aside.
- Slice 200 to 250 grams of block or paneer into cubes or squares and keep aside.
- Put curd (yogurt) in a bowl. With a whisk beat the curd lightly till smooth.
- Now add 1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste to the curd.
- Also, add all the dry spice powders – Kashmiri red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, cumin powder, dry mango powder (amchur), ajwain (carom seeds), chaat masala
- Now add salt as per your taste and lemon juice. Next, add 1 tablespoon of mustard oil.
- Mix till all the spices are combined well with the curd.
- Check the taste and add more seasonings if required.
- Add the onions, capsicum, and paneer to the marinade.
- Gently mix with your fingers taking care not to break the paneer cubes.
- Cover and keep the marinated paneer and veggies in the refrigerator for 2 hours or more.
- Once the marination is complete, gently mix the paneer and veggies once more.
- Begin to thread the veggies and paneer or you can insert the marinated paneer, capsicum, and onions into wooden skewers.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan/tawa.
- Place the tikka skewers on the greased tava.
- When one side gets browned, gently lift and turn over.
- Baste the tikka with the remaining oil thoroughly and let the paneer and veggies get a golden hue/light char.
- Remove paneer tikka on a plate.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon chaat masala and ¾ teaspoon lemon juice on the paneer cubes while serving.
- Serve the Tawa Paneer Tikka immediately with Green Chutney and onion salad.
- Preheat the oven to 230 or 240 degrees Celsius or 464 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- lace them on a tray lined with aluminum foil. Brush with some oil all over.
- Place the tray on the top rack and grill in the preheated oven for 7 to 10 minutes first at 230 to 240 degrees Celsius or 464 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then remove the tray from the oven and turn the paneer tikka skewers.
- Again keep back on the top rack in the oven and continue to grill the edges of the paneer and veggies for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- The total grilling time will be 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove once done. Serve the paneer tikka sprinkled with some chaat masala and lemon juice.
Onion slices and lemon wedges are also traditionally served with this appetizer dish or starter snack.
You can even eat paneer tikka with roti, naan, or bread or make wraps or rolls with them filled with your favorite toppings and veggies as a side dish.
Whether you have made paneer tikka in the oven or on the tawa, it is always served with this bright Mint Chutney that is made with curd (yogurt). This chutney is the traditional sauce or dip that is served with all tandoori dishes.
Tips and Variations
- Ensure that the tawa/skillet is moderately hot and greased well, but not too hot.
- It is best to marinate the paneer cubes for 2 hours or more. You can also keep the marinated paneer overnight in the fridge.
- You can also cook the paneer tikka on the barbecue grill.
- The veggies used can be of your choice
- also, adding a drop of red food color gives bright red color.
- Serve as soon as it is made. Else the paneer turns chewy on resting.
- Don’t overcook the paneer as they then become rubbery, dry, and hard.
- Paneer do pyaza recipe
- Mushroom Pakoda recipe
- chicken chatpata recipe
- Oreo Mug Cake Recipe
- Paneer Dum Biryani Recipe
- Aloo paneer paratha recipe